The Knockout Remedy

Knockout Remedy ingredients

It seems like no matter what you do, between school, church, work, neighborhood friends, and every other activity in between there is just a lot of germs going around and no real way to avoid catching something along the way.  That’s where this trusted remedy comes in.  I call it The Knockout Remedy because first of all it will knock out almost any upper respiratory trouble you have (i.e. cold, sinus infection, sore throat…) I get sinus infections pretty easily and I found this combo can put a quick end to an otherwise awful sickness.  Here’s the other part of the knockout, it’s really packs a punch going down!  So even though it will probably make you pucker and squirm it’ll be worth it.

1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp. honey (organic wild flower honey is the best)
2 tbsp. organic, raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar

Combine all three and heat in the microwave for just about 10 seconds.  Stir and then…down the hatch!  Repeat daily for best results.  Be careful, since this concoction is very acidic you will need to dilute with water if you plan to make this a daily routine so you don’t lose the enamel on your teeth!

* Lemon juice is packed full of vitamin C, but that’s not all lemon juice is good for.  When applied to the skin lemon juice can diminish scars, heal and prevent acne.  Taken internally it serves as a great cleanse and weight loss help by increasing liver function and metabolism resulting in the loss of excess water weight. “It helps to prevent diabetes, constipation, high blood pressure, skin care, fever, hair care, dental care, indigestion and many other health problems.”

* Honey especially organic honey which is locally grown in your area can not only help with seasonal allergies but can also “fight infection and aids tissue healing but also helps reduce inflammation and scarring. In addition, it is often used for treating digestive problems such as diarrhea, indigestion, stomach ulcers and gastroenteritis.”  If you can’t find it locally, you can find it here: Certified Organic Honey
* Raw apple cider vinegar is the mother of all natural remedies.  It may be a little strong…okay who are we kidding this stuff is no sipping tea, but its natures own antibiotic with the ability to do all this:

• Potassium – to avoid runny nose, hair loss, brittle teeth
  • Malic Acid – to fight infections from harmful bacteria and fungus
  • Acetic Acid – accounts for the sour taste of vinegar; lowers the blood’s pH levels thereby creating an inhospitable intestinal environment for bacterial & fungal infections.² ³
  • Pectin – facilitates regulation of blood pressure and removal of bad cholesterol

Note: I typically buy this direct from Amazon in the gallon size to save money.  You can click here to see the one I recommend: Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar

Update:

Since writing this post years ago I’ve learned a thing or two. I no longer microwave it since this can kill all the good stuff in the apple cider vinegar and honey. Nowadays I usually just warm it in a pan or take it cold when I’m in a rush. Since this concoction is pretty strong, I usually tone it down for the kids by making it into a tea. Just add some warm water from the tea kettle.

I also use essential oils along with The Knockout Remedy to keep me and my family healthy. The best and safest that I’ve found are from Doterra. To learn more and purchase some you can go here.

Enjoy

Food Lamor by Melissa

Sources:

About Melissa

Comments

1. I hope I never need this, but I have it pinned just in case!

2. Thank you for this – I am home sick with a cold and just drank it. Thank you!

3. On my second day of this. Love how it instantly clears my sinuses and soar throat. I’m a nursing momma so I’m limited to what I can take and so far it’s working wonderfully!

4. This was very helpful. ..thanks

5. That tastes really good ,,i did accidentally add more honey but I suppose that doesnt hurt too much. I also added cinnamon. Its helping get rid of that tickle.

6. Christina Mayhugh says:

Can this be given to children around 5 & 6 years old??

7. I just tried this “concoction” for the first time, tonight, and found that it really burned my throat (I took it like a shot because it smelled so bad). I am an avid ACV drinker – I drink 1TBSP per 8 oz glass of it per day – and never experienced the burn I felt tonight. Maybe my throat is worse than I thought?
    It immediately cleared up my sinuses, though! Thank you for the recipe. 🙂

8. Kbillingsley says:

Is this safe for children?

9. Going to go get some of this right now! I’m 22 weeks pregnant and miserable with a head cold. I’m up for trying anything!

10. Just tried your recipe. I’m excited and hope it works for me. I recently retired and have decided to not rely on chemical concoctions. This is the first day of the rest of my life.

11. My husband was sick with the flu for 5 days and could barely move from the couch. I decided to do some research and give this method a try. One week later and I’m still free of any virus!! Highly recommend. It obviously doesn’t taste great, but it’s one shot to avoid days of feeling like crap. Thanks for posting!

12. Can you make a couple cups at a time and save it in the fridge?

• If you’re not processing the stock (bottling it) you can store it in the fridge, but it should be used within 3-5 days.

• One more question. 🙂 Can this be used as a preventative?

• Of course! Used regularly, bone broth can help prevent the cold and flu, aid in digestion, and help maintain joint and liver health too. Making broth by adding chicken feet to your roasted chicken carcass will up the health benefits too.

• Of course! I sometimes take a swig of this when everyone else in the house is sick, even when I’m not feeling any symptoms.

13. Lynn Marie says:

I tried this and threw up for 24 hours. I am glad it has worked for so many others though.

14. DoctorMom4 says:

I’ve been drinking apple cider vinegar (diluted w/ grape juice) for 5 days.I’m also giving it to my 2 & 5 year old.It knocked my cold out but it doesn’t seem to be working so quickly for the children.I’m wondering how long will it take to help the kids.I’m still going to take it because it’s helping my 8mnth old.I’m nursing him so he gets it through me.I just wanted to gauge about how long I should expect to give your remedy to them.

• If it doesn’t seem to helping the kids much, give it rest for a few days and then try again. Apple cider vinegar is great for digestion and to boost the immune system, but you can have too much of a good thing. Have you tried essential oils? I use DoTerra oils on the bottom of the kids feet (the feet can absorb the oils quickly into the blood stream). Here’s a link to my oils page. I hope that helped. Good luck!

15. Dilan C. Bay says:

LOL Wow! It still amazes me how many people use microwaves. You are going to cut the power of this concoction by up to 98% if you nuke it!!!!!

16. I used honey and lemon but now I will combine it with apple vinegar and try it!)

17. Crayzilady says:

I have been using this recipe + cinnamon for the past 4 days on an upper respiratory infection, (i.e. head cold). Does not work for everyone or every time. Usually it knocks out a cold or sinus problem. But this time it’s not working. Still, it’s better than antibiotics and if it takes another week to work it will be worth it.

18. I have a sinus infection. Do I only drink this once a day?

19. I’ve tried this twice in the past week and both times I got horrible stomach pains. I’ve also tried lemon and honey with just a splash of acv & that didn’t bother me. Why would more acv make me so sick?

• Melissa says:

This is a pretty acidic concoction. If It upsets your stomach, you’re right to bring it down a notch. Have you tried it mixed with some warm water? It will still be beneficial, but may help sit better on your stomach if it’s just a little watered down.

20. I just gave this concoction to my 23 yr. old and he broke out in a rash, Has anybody else ever experienced this?

• He could have had an allergic reaction to the apple cider vinegar. As with any supplement always check with your doctor.

21. Does it still have the same effect if you add water to it?

• Melissa says:

I’ve tried it with and without water and as long as you’re proactive and start taking it at the first symptoms and then stay consistent, it will be just as effective. I usually take it twice a day (once in the morning and once at night) for at least 3 days.

22. Do you have to microwave it? And can you take it more than once a day?

• No, you don’t have to microwave it. I recently updated this post to let everyone know that I don’t nuke this concoction anymore. It’s been a few years since I made this post and have learned a few things. A little warm water mixed with it works great to soften the honey, otherwise I usually take straight 1 – 2 a day for at least 3 days.

23. Don’t drink it on an empty stomach or it will give you very bad nausea and a tummy ache

24. I know you know not to microwave this but did you also know that the “honey” in the bear-shaped container is High Fructose Corn Syrup?!?! Stay far away from that stuff. Read the label for ingredients. Maybe they make more than one kind but we only have the addictive junky honey flavored syrup here.

• Yes, you’re absolutely right! I buy honey from a local bee keeper. I pick it up in glass jars, but sometimes transfer some to the honey bear. It’s easier for the kids to handle without dumping precious honey everywhere 🙂

25. Darryl G Anderson says:

Can I take this ACV concoction if I have gout? And if not what would you recommend for individuals with gout symptoms?

• Yes I believe you can. Check with your doctor first, but it’s possible that it may help lesson some of the pain by reducing the inflammation. There certainly isn’t any harm in trying of your doctor says it’s okay!

• MedicallyResponsible says:

Melissa, are you a doctor? Gout is a serious condition and extremely painful and telling someone that it will be just fine to take something or beneficial to them in any way for a serious condition is a VERY SERIOUS RESPONSIBILITY. I sincerely hope that person consults a doctor about what is ok and not ok to ingest while suffering with gout as diet plays a huge role in that ailment.

• No, I am not a doctor (which is clearly stated on the home page of my blog, as well as on the disclaimer page) and yes, I agree, and sincerely hope that anyone looking on a blog, pinterest, or the internet in general for health and wellness information would have the common sense to consult their doctor about their online research first as well. Also, (as clearly stated on my homepage) this blog is simply a way to share my experiences of finding healthy, gluten free alternatives to feeding a young family and no where have I stated that you or anyone else should try to pull medical advice out of my personal opinions, ideas, or tips.

26. This is why I firmly believe in a strong Vitamin C drink every morning. It keeps bugs at bay (in my opinion).

I do like what you titled your little combating agent (The Knockout). I have used something similar myself in the past with these ingredients, but it also incorporated cayenne pepper. Have you ever heard of this or even tried it?

I got the idea from https://epicraze.com/sore-throat-remedy-cayenne-pepper/.

Few additional benefits I learned today though. Essential oils from Doterra (never heard of them before) and not to microwave it. Quite an important update. Good work.

27. I’ve been sick since Monday and I’m just sick of being sick. Haven’t been able to get out or do anything. I’ve had the runny nose, sore throat, and pressure in my head. I found this and just took a shot. It made me feel really sick to my stomach at first. It’s been about 15 minutes now and I don’t feel sick in my stomach. Hoping this helps and gets rid of it once and for all! Thanks so much for this!

28. Thanks for sharing, I’m very excited to try this. I’m just wondering how necessary it is to heat it up. Could I just drink it cold and get the same results? Thanks!

• No it’s really not necessary. You could take it cold or with warm water. The warm water just helps to melt the honey better.

• Does it have to be kept in the fridge? After all honey is a great preservative and the lemon wont go bad, right? Neither would the vinegar as it stands at room temperature… Please let me know …

• I usually make a fresh batch each time, but yes if you wanted to make a big batch ahead of time to use later, then I would suggest mixing the honey, lemon (slices of fresh lemon would work too), and ACV together without the water. Then when you’re ready to make it into tea just scoop out a couple tbsp. into hot water.

29. I just want to say that this WORKS!! for years I have gotten sinus infections in the winter, at least one, maybe two, and after fighting them for 10 days, would call the Dr and start antibiotic, sometimes 2 cycles!!! I refused to do it this time and after about 5 days, I found this remedy and started using it 2X a day. It totally cured me!! Took about 2 weeks to feel 100%, but sure beats two rounds of antibiotic!! Thank you so much, I am telling everyone about this miracle!!
    (I did heat it up, and it really does not taste so great, but in 3 gulps it is down!!)

30. ps. Plus the neti pot 1X a day!!

31. Carla Jo Peterson says:

What essential oils do you use for sinus infection, ear infections, and colds?

• Melaleuca and basil are both anti-viral and anti-bacterial and are two of my favorites. I like to pair them with some lemon and peppermint oil in a gel capsule. Be sure whatever essential oils you use are high quality and can be taken internally.

32. Hi! I love this easy recipe ….but I have a queation , I always have my nose stuffed all the time..how often can I do this treatment ? And at what schedule? Thanks a lot

• Well, I’m not a doctor but having your nose stuffed all the time sounds annoying at best and maybe a little concerning at worst. I would check with your doctor to see if there are some food allergies that may be causing that. As far as the knockout remedy, my great grandma did and my dad still does drink APV every single morning and swears by it for health and longevity.

33. Merriane Savage says:

I heat a cup of filtered water in the microwave & the add the honey, lemon juice, & ACV to the water. I don’t think the microwave will hurt the water, will it? Tastes much better that way.

• I agree it tastes better warm and no the microwave won’t hurt the water. I think the concern for some is if you microwave the honey then it will breakdown some of the more useful nutrients.

34. Sick Mommy says:

Trying this today. The flu has hit :o(

35. Can you take this mixture when you are pregnant?