Protein bars are a great way to have a snack, satisfy your sweet tooth, and fill your quota of protein. Have you ever noticed how, often, the commercial protein bars readily available are merely glorified candy bars with all that sugar they have to add to make them taste decent? Don't get me wrong, I have totally bought and devoured said protein bars during a long hike or when I'm in a hurry and need something to fill me up. But, I'd much rather make my own with quality ingredients.
The question then comes down to....what is the best protein to use? One of my favorites is SUNWARRIOR.
Sunwarrior's blend of rich plant-based protein sources combine with MTC oil from coconuts. Medium Chain Triglycerides - MTC, is a stable and long-lasting source of energy, has detoxification components, and helps to manage appetite and weight. All those amino acids work in this amazing synergistic way to help build muscle, lift your mood as a seratonin building block, functions as a neurotransmitter to better handle stress, acts as precurser to a healthy immune function, and keeps the heart and blood vessels flexible and healthy.
Sounds like a powerful combo to me! So I blended the ever versatile Sunwarrior Blend vanilla flavored plant-based protein powder (but you could certainly swap that for almost any flavor) and added it with simple ingredients for these bars.
These bars are allergy friendly too! Dairy free, grain free, nut free, and still so tasty!
Sunwarrior Plant-Powered Protein Bars
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Serves: 6 bars
- 1 cup nut or seed butter (almond butter, sun flour seed butter, peanut butter, etc)
- 2 Tbsp. coconut flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 2 1/2 scoops Sunwarrior Plant-Based Protein powder (vanilla, chocolate, etc.)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. honey
- 1/3 cup milk (almond, coconut, etc.)
- 1/4 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips chips (the Enjoy Life brand are my favorite) + 1 tsp. coconut oil
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients except the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Press the mixture in to a 10-ince loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Place the pan in the fridge while you prepare the chocolate drizzle.
- Using a glass dish in the microwave or a pan on the stove top, melt the chips and coconut oil together until smooth.
- Remove pan from fridge and remove the protein packed goodness form the pan. Cut into 6 bars and drizzle with chocolate sauce. Cover andd store in fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for 6 months.